Saturday, January 9, 2010

Road King

I am Jack the Compassionate. The freeways, highways, streets and alleys of the San Francisco Bay Area are my royal dominion. My throne is the drivers seat of a Crown Victoria Ford. I hold court there.

A lady-in-waiting, running late for a job interview, asked me one day, "who made thee king?" In a regal and modest manner I responded.
There are many pretenders to my throne. They know not when to open the door for the old and disabled. They know not when to take the short cut, when a subject is running late. My faithful subjects and regular riders pay homage to me, they recognize me as monarch. These
are the jewels in a sovereign's crown.

When a serf, knave or buffoon plays the court jester and fails to pay proper tribute---I have yet to send one to the gallows. It's pretentious for others to claim my crown, yet I have not sent one of them to the dungeon.

I am no tyrant, but hold sway over the troubled masses in my kingdom. Late for an appointment, trying to catch a plane, giving birth, pacemaker going bad? Need a recommendation on a hotel, a restaurant,
or just someone to talk to? Only the most seasoned Road King can help you. When I grant you an audience, in a down pouring rain, you will recognize my power.

His Majesty
Jack the Compassionate
Cab Driver

1 comment:

New comments on The Cosmic Coach